Monday, August 4, 2008

Don't stare at that closed door too long

There is a famous quote by Alexander Graham Bell:

“Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we see too late the one that is open.”

Basically, the meaning is that when something negative occurs in life, people often dwell on for so long they miss the new opportunity that has opened up.

A few years ago I recall a situation in which I sold a home to someone. It was a scenario where I was building them a new home, so the process had taken about 3 or so months at the point in which they told me they wanted to cancel the deal.

In the new home sales business cancellations happen, it's just a fact of life, but this particular scenario, really seemed to bug me.

At the point of cancellation, I had invested a vast amount of time and energy trying to please this person, but nothing seemed to suffice.

I recall feeling a bit angry and somewhat dejected as I sat in my office when someone walked in the door.

When I heard the door make the BEEP! noise to let me know someone walked in I have to admit my first thought was....What now?

Horrible, I know.

In any case, I decided to suck it up and help this person that best that I could.

As it turned out, they bought that exact home that I cancelled earlier in the day, than over the ensuing 3 months, they referred 4 other family members and a couple friends.

They ALL bought homes from me and they ALL closed as Happy Homeowners.

I could have just put my head in the sand and felt sorry for myself, but I didn't. Because this other buyer cancelled, I had the NEW OPPORTUNITY to help someone else.

This NEW opportunity led to 6 NEW Sales!

That was the moment that I learned how important the quote from Alexander Graham Bell was.

Do you stare too long at a closed door?

Curt Fletcher is a Real Estate Expert, New Home Sales Professional, Published Author of the book, "How To Sell More Homes and Increase Your Income," Sales Trainer, and Professional Speaker that focuses on improving your Likeability to increase your Opportunities for Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment