Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Face of your company is the person that answers the Phone!


Yesterday, I decided I was going to look for a different printing and design company to assist with a few different ventures. I was looking to design a new logo, get a few different types of brochures made, letterhead, envelopes, and a few more items.

In any case, I was referred to a particular company from a friend and colleague of mine. So, I did what I normally do and checked them out via the Internet to see what kind of capability they had.

I was satisfied by what I read, but still had some particular questions since I had various items for a few different projects to take care of.

They had one of those nice little "Web Chat" type deals on their web site, so I signed in and asked for some assistance regarding my questions. In just a few seconds, a customer representative replied with a very generic "pre-typed" response.

I replied again, re-stating my question and again received a "pre-typed" response. Though this only took a few seconds, it was already very annoying. This time I replied politely, that he was not answering my questions, and asked if we could speak.

The response was, "Yes, call the number on the screen and ask for the design department." I'm thinking great, this will probably be much easier. Not so fast.

So I call the number and ask for the "design team." Not more then a second after I make that statement am I getting stiff armed by the receptionist saying they don't really allow people to talk to them without paying first. My response was that I understood, but had a volume of different materials needed and first needed to speak with someone before paying for something that may not be correct.

I even stated that I was told to call and ask for the design team. He put me on hold for a minute or so then came back and asked for my sign up ID and Order number. I told him again, that I had not paid anything to get an order number, because it was necessary to speak with someone first.

After a bit of sarcasm from the Representative as he re-stated that speaking to someone about what you need is not really their protocol before any money is transferred, I was placed on hold again for about 5 minutes. I got the hint.

Clearly this company was ALL about the bottom line first, and actually helping a customer was not even a priority. Naturally, I hung up. There is not a chance in the world I would ever work or trust a company like this with my money, design needs, or schedule deliveries.

Within a few minutes, I called another company, and everything has been smooth since the first step. Amazing what a little common sense and courtesy can do.

In any case, my suggestion to any company is that if you have someone that is either inept, unwilling, or just naturally unpleasant, DO NOT allow them to speak with customers. Especially if they are your front line. To me, the face of the company is that person that I speak to first.

I sent this company a short little email stating how they could improve their business and how I would not do business with them because of the rudeness I experienced at the outset of the process. After I told them who I was and what I was doing, their interest in helping was very high and asked if they could reconcile.

Politely, I said no thank you and that I had already made a new commitment with a company that desired my business from the first phone call NOT after the first mistake.

Curt Fletcher aka The Likeability Guy, is a Real Estate Professional, Business Development Strategist, Published Author of the book, "How To Sell More Homes and Increase Your Income," Sales Trainer, and Professional Speaker that focuses on improving your Likeability to increase your Opportunities for Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment