Monday, April 20, 2009

Ideas, Ideas, Ideas


Almost every single week, I speak with someone that will say the following line.

"I had that idea years ago."

When I hear that line, I never doubt that the person is telling the truth. I think many people have fantastic ideas ever single day. But I do always stop for a second and say, "I guess you should have done something about it." Within minutes of the conversation beginning, it almost always ends with little to no residual thoughts of remorse from the idea person.

It's that moment in the conversation that I find very sad. To me, it says that even though I have great thoughts and ideas, I am not destined to do anything any better than what I am doing right now. How can that be? How can you ever feel resigned to some pre-determined fate of mediocrity?

If you have "the" idea. Go do something about it. It isn't the ideas that separate highly successful people from normal people. It's the follow-through on making it happen.

Don't be the guy (or girl), that watches in the background as someone else runs off with your idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment